A Century Is Not Enough Free Download

Open Preview

See a Problem?

We'd love your help. Let united states know what'southward incorrect with this preview of A Century Is Not Enough by Sourav Ganguly.

Cheers for telling usa about the trouble.

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign upwardly.

Community Reviews

 · 1,469 ratings  · 242 reviews
Showtime your review of A Century Is Not Enough: My Roller-coaster Ride to Success
Bhavesh Bhimani
Book Review: 'A Century is Non Plenty' by Sourav Ganguly

An unstructured, ordinarily written, patchy and disappointing read.

I won't say I had loftier expectations from Sourav Ganguly's autobiography. Having followed his career minutely and observed him as a cricketer, I knew what the tone of the book would exist similar. But I was still interested in information technology equally I was once a huge Ganguly fan.

Autobiographies of Indian cricketers haven't really been great of late, including Sachin Tendulkar's 'Playing It My mode

Book Review: 'A Century is Not Plenty' by Sourav Ganguly

An unstructured, ordinarily written, patchy and disappointing read.

I won't say I had high expectations from Sourav Ganguly's autobiography. Having followed his career minutely and observed him equally a cricketer, I knew what the tone of the volume would be like. But I was nonetheless interested in it as I was once a huge Ganguly fan.

Autobiographies of Indian cricketers haven't actually been keen of late, including Sachin Tendulkar's 'Playing Information technology My style'. Despite that, with Ganguly's book, I was expecting some great insights into the listen of a fighter and a leader.

Unfortunately, what I got was a mixed bag; mildly good in parts but disappointing overall. What'south worse is that it's not even well written. More on that afterwards.

Sourav Ganguly's contribution towards Indian cricket is immense. He was 1 of all-time ODI batsmen of his time and became a great leader who molded Indian cricket in the right direction during a very tough menstruum. It was under Sourav Ganguly's leadership that a new, fearless Indian team emerged.

But…These are the things I already know well-nigh. I didn't need another book to tell me this. What I wanted to know more than was near Sourav Ganguly, the person. I wanted to get a peek of his formative years; his childhood in Kolkata, his schoolhouse days and how the game caught his fancy. I also wanted a detailed view into his mind as a helm.

Equally a thespian, Ganguly was aggressive and never shied away from giving information technology back. But what I got in this volume is incessant ramblings of a person who thinks he was wronged through most of his career and the world was out to go him. That he was the eternal victim who did everything right. E'er.

Ganguly starts with his last twenty-four hour period in international cricket – at Nagpur against Australia, 2008. From there we move on direct to his start ODI lucifer in 1992. The chapter on his debut tour in Australia is interesting and it is the just one where he accepts his flaws and sacking gracefully.

We then move straightaway to his memorable debut Test match at Lord'due south against England in 1996. At that place is hardly whatsoever mention of what Ganguly did in the intervening years and how he prepared himself mentally with the failure. And similar I said, there is no mention of his boyhood cricket-playing days which I experience is a huge miss.

From at that place on, Ganguly reflects on the well-known events of his career – his functioning against Pakistan at Toronto in 1997, his 183 confronting Sri Lanka in the 1999 World Cup, his elevation to captaincy, the 2001 Eden Test confronting Commonwealth of australia and the 2002 Natwest Tri-series win against England.

All these events are glossed over, punctuated with some anecdote here and in that location. I was incredibly disappointed that the 2001 Examination serial against Commonwealth of australia and the 2003 Globe Cup in South Africa – Ganguly's biggest moments every bit a captain – are finished in a few paras. Hell, the 2001 Eden Test itself, with all its remarkable ebbs and flows, deserved a dissever chapter. It's a key omission, in my view!

Subsequently this, there are pages upon pages on his strained equations with Australian coach Greg Chappell and how he was this evil monster. Ganguly goes on to highlight how Greg was 'out to get him' forth with a few selectors. In fact, during the 2nd half of the book it felt like the motive backside writing this volume was to call out all those who had wronged him.

Throughout the book, Ganguly frequently projects himself equally the victim and overglorifies his feats as a helm and batsman while completely overlooking his deficiencies.

For instance, he claims that the 2004 Examination series victory in Pakistan was his biggest moment as a captain simply casually ignores to mention the fact that Rahul Dravid was the stand up-in captain in i of the Tests. He takes great pride in talking about his hundreds scored against Wasim Akram and Glen McGrath, every bit he should. But then, when he talks loftily about the fatigued series against Australia in 2004, he fails to country that information technology didn't feature the likes of Glen McGrath and Shane Warne in it. Shockingly, Ganguly completely ignores talking well-nigh the 2004 dwelling Test series loss to Australia. How tin can his memoir exclude such an important outcome in his tenure?

As well, while Ganguly rambles on for pages well-nigh his sudden removal from the Indian squad, he never, for once, mentions the poor form he had prior to that phase or at whatever point in his career. He brags about his hundred against Zimbabwe in 2005 earlier he was dropped, but never talks well-nigh the fact that he had scores of 21, 12, 12, i and 2 prior to that innings.

In fact, Ganguly also states how he was literally 'forced' to appear for an advertisement for Pepsi subsequently his removal from the side where he had to say the lines 'Mera Naam Sourav Ganguly. Bhule Toh Nahi?" For a man of Ganguly's aggressive and no-nonsense nature, I find it hard to believe that anyone could twist his arms to practice something he wasn't at all interested in and was, in fact, embarrassed by.

Too missing are any talks about Ganguly'southward technical deficiencies that he faced through his career. I was actually keen on reading nearly his frailties against the short ball and his issues on the leg-side. Surely, talking about how he struggled confronting them and how he managed these chinks in his batting would have only made him announced like a normal sportsperson.

Sanjay Manjerakar'southward 'Imperfect' was much better that way. At to the lowest degree Sanjay was aboveboard plenty to accept his personal and technical flaws in his memoir. With Ganguly, we do non get any of that.

Another issue that bugged me all through the book was the barrage of motivational nuggets he keeps on piling for the readers. And in doing and so, Ganguly oft produces a motivational story from tales of his wistful struggles and several magnified triumphs in his career. Some of his episodes of struggles were 18-carat and did serve as an inspiration in itself. But when he followed them up with quotes similar "Take the danger head on and never give upwards" they kind of lost the taste.

Surprisingly, even though the volume is co-authored by a senior journalist, it isn't well written either and in that location is not a single sentence that I was impressed with in the way it was framed - they are all very mundane and ordinary. It is also riddled with numerous typographical and punctuation errors. A proper quality check was really needed in this one.

What I felt afterward finishing the book was that Ganguly was on this ego trip. He was one of the most influential cricketers of his time and could have presented an engaging and arresting view of his life and career and, more chiefly, of one of the well-nigh consequential phases of Indian cricket through his prism. Merely that opportunity is squandered as Ganguly disappoints with an overkill of a vainglorious expect of himself.

I have a feeling that this book was written in a rush, much similar Sachin Tendulkar's 'Playing It My way'. It appears that Ganguly sat downwards and chalked out all the things well-nigh himself that would present him as a victim and an unrelenting champion, while conveniently ignored some of the more uncomfortable aspects of his career. And that is where this autobiography is incomplete and patchy, while besides being unstructured and ordinarily written as a whole.

Ganguly was a fascinating character and people loved him fifty-fifty with his flaws. No one tin take abroad all that he has achieved for Indian cricket. However, I didn't want a repeat of all the well-known tales virtually him. I wanted a sincere account of his life and career. While definitely a better read than Sachin's book, 'A Century is Non Enough' left me feeling rather displeased.

I will have a break from reading any modernistic Indian cricketer'southward autobiography at present. Tired of being disappointed!

...more
Vikas
Aug 04, 2019 rated it actually liked it
Lot of things came together to make information technology so that as Ganguly started his career I also started watching regular cricket and I would forever be grateful for his contribution towards transforming the Indian Cricket Team and giving some many wonderful performances, and I was even able to come across his century live in Gwalior with my Mom and blood brother. Well so of course I had to become the book when I saw this so I got it and I read it. It was a dainty read and different others I didn't feel that the book was written Lot of things came together to make information technology so that every bit Ganguly started his career I too started watching regular cricket and I would forever exist grateful for his contribution towards transforming the Indian Cricket Team and giving some many wonderful performances, and I was even able to see his century live in Gwalior with my Mom and brother. Well so of course I had to get the book when I saw this so I got it and I read it. It was a nice read and unlike others I didn't feel that the book was written poorly only it was written nicely enough. Similar the recent autobiographies from Indian cricketers this one is also on the leaner end with merely about 260 pages. As you all my might have noticed already I at present tend to shuffle between multiple books and too what with beingness busy with photography it took me a little longer to finish than it should have.

Coming to the book the tone of the book I agree is preachy with Dada direct talking to young cricketers and normal chums like me or y'all "Life Lessons" as he liked to phone call them. As I said that lot of things came together to make it so that I have seen almost of the matches or to the lowest degree kept rail of them and it was easy every bit merely like information technology to bring back the memories of the matches or innings mentioned in the book.

So in the cease don't let the positive reviews sway you lot nor let the negative reviews scare you lot abroad from this book, give information technology a chance and see for yourself if you similar this life story or not, in any case read this or non just remember to Continue on Reading.

...more
Ashish Iyer
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked information technology
What to say near this fable. As an ardent followers of cricket and passionate almost playing cricket. This book was kinda nostalgia for me. I however cant believe he left International cricket in 2008.
Shalin Bhatt
Feb 26, 2018 rated information technology really liked it
Read this memoir (on the first day of its release) considering I expected Ganguly to be candid - and he didn't disappoint. The book's narrative style is conversational and was engaging enough for me to finish it in one reading session. This autobiography isn't an finish-to-finish description of his personal life and focuses instead on the key episodes in his life that are probable to interest readers more (due east.g. Greg Chappell, comeback to Indian team etc). Consequently, the book ends up deflecting other cric Read this memoir (on the first day of its release) because I expected Ganguly to be candid - and he didn't disappoint. The volume'southward narrative style is conversational and was engaging plenty for me to terminate information technology in one reading session. This autobiography isn't an cease-to-finish description of his personal life and focuses instead on the key episodes in his life that are likely to interest readers more than (e.yard. Greg Chappell, comeback to Indian team etc). Consequently, the volume ends upwardly deflecting other cricketing incidents of that era where Ganguly wasn't the centrepiece of the story (e.k. friction match-fixing gets only ane para in the book). Overall, it's a no-brainer for Dada fans or cricket enthusiasts to read this because of the sheer nostalgia turning the pages puts you lot through. Those who aren't equally passionate about the sport can give this century a miss. ...more than
Srinidhi Devanathan
A devotee of God, a fan of the wall simply a subject in the Maharaj'due south kingdom means this ane gets 5 *. Waves of nostalgia washed over me equally I turned the pages. It felt similar reading descriptions on a serial of movement posters because I could clearly meet the images in mind - of the shots that he describes, the flagging of the T-shirts at Lord's, the infamous chat on the field with Dravid and Chappell etc. Enjoyed reading information technology 😊 A devotee of God, a fan of the wall but a subject in the Maharaj's kingdom means this 1 gets five *. Waves of nostalgia washed over me every bit I turned the pages. It felt like reading descriptions on a series of motion posters considering I could conspicuously encounter the images in mind - of the shots that he describes, the flagging of the T-shirts at Lord'due south, the infamous chat on the field with Dravid and Chappell etc. Enjoyed reading information technology 😊 ...more
Ekita Parmar
Mar 17, 2018 rated it information technology was amazing
A great read for Cricket and Sourav Ganguly Fans.. His Nostalgic memoir volition take you down a memory lane.. Remind you lot of all those wins and losses you shared with your family and friends..

The book is an uputdownable page turner.. The writing is frank, conversational and engaging.. Sourav Ganguly has written without mincing his words.. He has shared some chuckle-worthy anecdotes from dressing room..

In short, Indian Cricket Fans shouldn't miss it..

A bully read for Cricket and Sourav Ganguly Fans.. His Nostalgic memoir will accept you down a memory lane.. Remind you of all those wins and losses you shared with your family and friends..

The book is an uputdownable page turner.. The writing is frank, conversational and engaging.. Sourav Ganguly has written without mincing his words.. He has shared some chuckle-worthy anecdotes from dressing room..

In short, Indian Cricket Fans shouldn't miss it..

...more
Swathi Kiranmayee Manchili
I should confess that I'm a Ganguly fan. For me, cricket started when Ganguly took the charge as Helm of the Indian side. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I should confess that I'm a Ganguly fan. For me, cricket started when Ganguly took the charge as Captain of the Indian side. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. ...more than
Prathamesh Deshpande
Rating - I find it unfair to rate autobiographies. I mean how can we rate how a person has lived their life

At the outset, this volume was purely picked up past me because I am a crazy supporter of Dada.. I use the word supporter because I always used to believe that he deserved to brand a come back and treated better than the way he was treated by people around him.

This book is really well written. You lot can see that the support author has kept his office to a minimal, which is not what I felt when I rea

Rating - I discover it unfair to charge per unit autobiographies. I hateful how can we charge per unit how a person has lived their life

At the outset, this book was purely picked up by me considering I am a crazy supporter of Dada.. I employ the word supporter because I ever used to believe that he deserved to make a come back and treated ameliorate than the way he was treated by people around him.

This volume is really well written. You lot can encounter that the support author has kept his role to a minimal, which is not what I felt when I read Sachin's autobiography.

The book non just makes you relive some of the glorious moments in Indian cricket history during the late 90s and 2000s ( gilt period) but is a treasure trove on leadership. The best office is it does not portray Dada as some flawless larger than life captain but a guy who went through a lot equally a helm and shows how much work goes into being a leader of men.

I would refer this book to anybody who wants to learn about leadership and how leaders are not only born only are made through self learning and cocky sacrifice.

Dada is the architect of what we are today as a cricket team. Dada influenced the way my generation looked at life, we saw him being aggressive and winning and we realised we could exercise it likewise. Don't forget, he had this influence because ,during his career, cricket was the one and all there was in terms of sports in Republic of india. And sports does build a generation.

Thank yous Dada for your service to the game and the endless smiles you brought u.s.!!

Highly recommended to everybody who has religiously followed Indian cricket in the final 20 years

...more
Avinash
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked information technology
A good biography but not a dandy one. Get-go of all information technology doesn't take enough pages; Sourav Gangly is not just a character, he is a phenomena and hardly 200 pages for that is non sufficient at all. Apart from that even those 200 pages doesn't do justice by skipping or quickly wrapping up few very of import things. For example this volume is nearly completely virtually Sourav Gangly - The Cricketer, not Sourav Ganguly - The Person. And it's obvious that we know quite a lot about the cricketer Ganguly. Information technology w A skilful biography but not a great ane. Get-go of all it doesn't accept enough pages; Sourav Gangly is not just a graphic symbol, he is a phenomena and hardly 200 pages for that is not sufficient at all. Autonomously from that fifty-fifty those 200 pages doesn't do justice by skipping or quickly wrapping up few very important things. For instance this volume is almost completely about Sourav Gangly - The Cricketer, non Sourav Ganguly - The Person. And it's obvious that nosotros know quite a lot about the cricketer Ganguly. It was the later that I was more excited about while starting this volume. I think in this regard the last two cricketer's Autobiography I read were much better (Sachin and AB De Villiers's).

None-the-less it doesn't hateful that this volume is not worth a read, probably my expectation was quite loftier. Reading this was a good nostalgia, I kind of dived in my childhood again. Watching those innings on YouTube along with reading those chapters was an absolute treat. But every bit I mentioned earlier in that location were few case which were non covered in as much particular as I would have liked to. 2001 kolkata Test, 2003 world loving cup final and Ganguly'south double century in Bangalore are few examples. Above all and most surprisingly his last exam and series win against Australia was not even mentioned. I mean he even did the captaincy in concluding few minutes of that test, it surely worth a page at least.

Overall a decent book simply could accept been ameliorate. 3.5 Star which include 1/2 actress star for the dearest of DADA.

...more than
Aditya Kulkarni
A really enjoyable book, the autobiography of ane of my almost favourite cricketers and arguably the greatest captain Indian team has ever had. I finished reading this book in less than a calendar week. It felt like a flashback of sorts as it took me back to the time when I was very passionate about cricket. If you loved the Indian cricket team of the 1990s and the 2000s, and then you'll love this autobiography of Sourav Ganguly. A actually enjoyable book, the autobiography of one of my most favourite cricketers and arguably the greatest captain Indian team has ever had. I finished reading this book in less than a week. It felt like a flashback of sorts equally it took me back to the time when I was very passionate nigh cricket. If you loved the Indian cricket team of the 1990s and the 2000s, so you'll dearest this autobiography of Sourav Ganguly. ...more than
Anuj
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Being an gorging fan of Sourav Ganguly and later on watching him over the years, this volume was a let downward.

It felt more like a personal glorification and explanations to sure controversies in his career. Later on a while it feels more like a pen notes improver and a stats book. This book does not add much more information than what is available on the internet.

My expectation was that information technology will shed some more light towards how he built the team and the challenges he faced to instill the winning and figh

Being an avid fan of Sourav Ganguly and after watching him over the years, this volume was a let down.

It felt more than like a personal glorification and explanations to certain controversies in his career. After a while it feels more like a pen notes addition and a stats book. This book does not add much more than information than what is bachelor on the cyberspace.

My expectation was that it will shed some more light towards how he built the team and the challenges he faced to instill the winning and fighting spirit in the Indian Cricket Squad.

...more than
Arcopol Chaudhuri
'Çonfidence is the simply cologne you tin can wear in the dressing room', 'Darkness e'er has an decease date' are some of the Dada-isms that stayed with me at the end of this book. There is a lot of motivational stuff here -- peculiarly for those looking at making at comebacks, not just on the field, but as well in life. Some of it is very generic, and some quite contextual.

A Century is Not Enough is a quick read -- covers a big part of Ganguly'southward career, especially the important developments in his vi

'Çonfidence is the only cologne you can wear in the dressing room', 'Darkness always has an expiry date' are some of the Dada-isms that stayed with me at the end of this book. There is a lot of motivational stuff hither -- especially for those looking at making at comebacks, not but on the field, simply also in life. Some of it is very generic, and some quite contextual.

A Century is Not Enough is a quick read -- covers a big part of Ganguly'south career, peculiarly the of import developments in his view -- his choice, being dropped from the side and from captaincy, his comeback, retirement, IPL and of class, Greg Chappell. I am adequately satisfied with what he'southward shared about all these topics -- although I wanted a lot more fireworks between him and Greg, most what Actually happened.

What he hasn't spoken much about -- and I wish Indian sports memoirs accost this -- is the lack of any anecdotes nigh cricketing strategy and conclusion-making. As a helm, how did your team build pressure? How did y'all motivate your boys when the chips were down? What thinking went into your bowling changes? How do you build momentum effectually a dismissal? Who were the opponents you enjoyed competing against? In some of the pressure cooker matches he'd played, what happened behind the scenes in some key captaincy decisions. If yous played alongside four Indian erstwhile captains - Azhar, Sachin, Dravid, Kumble --
y'all played in the golden era of Indian cricket. What were the remember-tank conversations like? The book offers barely any insights hither -- it would take made for riveting reading. The World Loving cup last nosotros lost to Australia in 2003 -- he'due south not opened upwards about that friction match at all. What was the road to the final like? (The aforementioned problems plagued MS Dhoni: The Untold Story, the picture, perhaps one of the worst biopics I've seen.)

By not talking almost the team's defeats, his own failures (fitness and sloppy running betwixt the wickets), MS Dhoni'southward appointment equally captain (and the new kind of squad Dhoni built) -- this book felt like a lost opportunity. I hope he writes another volume about the Dada approach towards captaincy, something that likewise addresses the ongoing conversations in Indian cricket -- the BCCI, Kohli, Shastri, the Yo-Yo examination, etc. This book dwells generally on his own records and how unfairly he was dropped from the national and IPL sides, and how remarkable his comebacks were. (They were indeed.)

...more
Manish
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked information technology
Okay. I, much similar a lot of other people, am a self-professed uber fan of Sourav Ganguly. And the fan in me wanted to give a 5-star rating to this volume; the avid reader (again, cocky-professed) in me, a 3. The haggler in me has settled for a 4.
The goods? It is Sourav Ganguly's memoir of his professional career. The highs, the lows, the practiced, bad and ugly. It is all here. An illustrious career played out in constant media glare is recounted in vivid detail, replete with the great man'southward thinking at
Okay. I, much similar a lot of other people, am a self-professed uber fan of Sourav Ganguly. And the fan in me wanted to give a five-star rating to this book; the avid reader (once again, cocky-professed) in me, a 3. The haggler in me has settled for a four.
The appurtenances? It is Sourav Ganguly's memoir of his professional person career. The highs, the lows, the good, bad and ugly. It is all here. An illustrious career played out in constant media glare is recounted in vivid detail, replete with the great man's thinking at diverse points in his life. Nearly-religious fans, similar yours truly, would definitely derive pleasure in reliving the highlights of Dada's career while also agreement merely now, what his mindset was when he was creating those memories for united states. Through this volume, we go a peek into the mind of a champion athlete.
In that location is a sure arrogance in the writing at times, a bit of victim-hood at the others, merely a general, constant pride in his life's piece of work. Information technology has quintessential traits of the Sourav Ganguly persona, at least the public one, that nosotros all have loved for and then long.
The downfalls? This is a book which has quintessential traits of the Sourav Ganguly persona. The reference to himself in the third person, the sense of cocky-righteousness at all times, the try to create an infallible prototype for himself, and the constant bits of motivational advice either break the flow or just make for a laborious read at times.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't change a thing in this book. Sourav Ganguly that I loved wasn't perfect. Why should his memoir exist?
...more
Parth Arora
I was drawn towards this volume because I have e'er been fascinated with Dada's roller coaster cricketing career. However, I was mildly disappointed- the predominant reason being that this book completely ignores some very key chapters in the Indian cricketing era like Match fixing and its influence on Indian cricket, the infighting between cricketers which was partly responsible for the 2007 earth loving cup exit etc. Instead, the autobiography turned out to exist a decent attempt at painting Dada equally a grand I was drawn towards this book because I have always been fascinated with Dada's roller coaster cricketing career. However, I was mildly disappointed- the predominant reason beingness that this volume completely ignores some very key chapters in the Indian cricketing era like Match fixing and its influence on Indian cricket, the infighting between cricketers which was partly responsible for the 2007 world cup exit etc. Instead, the autobiography turned out to be a decent endeavor at painting Dada as a gladiator and a victim both. Here is the caricature I drew of Ganguly after reading this book-
1. Pathbreaking captain : He tried out new things like getting a strange motorbus for the starting time time in Indian cricket. Commencement captain to do a recce of a foreign country (Australia) to understand pitches and basis conditions before an upcoming bout.
ii. Inspiring leader: Most of the players he captained also vouch for this aspect of his personality. He successfully ready foundations of a side which would do really well later.
3. Egoist: This bit is quite fascinating. He only talks about his successes in the book. Cerise picks and remembers good knocks in his defense force of not getting picked in the team and in general is quite defensive around operation. I would have liked Ganguly to write a more humble and aboveboard cess of his ain career.

Read only if you are a big time Dada fan and keen to ignore the egoism that is quite palpable through out the volume.

...more
Anal Ghosh
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one autobiography that I have been waiting for a long time - not merely every bit a fan simply for the tumultuous and eventful career that Dada had. Right from the forgettable debut in Australia, his career had always been under scrutiny and experienced peaks & throughs like no one else's. And controversies abounded. That'southward what he focuses on in this componentized autobiography, which covers the major chapters (debut, Lord's, Toronto, captaincy, Natwest, Commonwealth of australia rivalry, Greg Chappell, the epic c This was 1 autobiography that I have been waiting for a long time - non just as a fan but for the tumultuous and eventful career that Dada had. Right from the forgettable debut in Australia, his career had e'er been nether scrutiny and experienced peaks & throughs like no 1 else's. And controversies abounded. That'southward what he focuses on in this componentized autobiography, which covers the major chapters (debut, Lord's, Toronto, captaincy, Natwest, Australia rivalry, Greg Chappell, the epic improvement, IPL) in his career rather than his entire life. And he does it blank it all - from the verbal happenings, to the rumors that abounded, and how he went through the motions.

The narrative is linear and very conversational, which makes it a very breezy read. The book can be easily finished in i sitting. Dada gets really candid as he narrates the incidents and likewise shares some wonderful anecdotes, especially of his interactions with other cricketers. In doing that, he also shares lessons for readers which tend to become a bit preachy as the book progresses. What bothers me is how, in a bid to retain his place in the side, he was expecting poor performances from the team to increase his chances. And he is indeed proud of his achievements, calling out his stats quite regularly :)

...more than
Addy
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sourav Ganguly - "Prince of Kolkata"(in Geoff Boycott's accent) , Sourav "Man of the friction match Ganguly", "Maharaj" , The ultimate comeback Male monarch, "God on the offside"- Dada could requite Apollo Creed a run for his money when information technology comes to the number of names he was known by. For me, he was quite simply the best Indian Captain ever who instilled a winning mentality , self belief and killer instinct into the squad.

The volume is exactly what I expected information technology to be - Straightforward, insightful, unforgiving and mo

Sourav Ganguly - "Prince of Kolkata"(in Geoff Boycott's accent) , Sourav "Man of the friction match Ganguly", "Maharaj" , The ultimate comeback Rex, "God on the offside"- Dada could give Apollo Creed a run for his money when it comes to the number of names he was known past. For me, he was quite simply the best Indian Captain ever who instilled a winning mentality , cocky belief and killer instinct into the team.

The book is exactly what I expected it to be - Straightforward, insightful, unforgiving and most chiefly a superbly paced quick read. And unlike Tendulkar (who remains my favourite in terms of pure cricketing genius), Dada does not mince any words and there are no half measures. My only complaint is that the book was as well curt! Merely then, it is targeted at a much wider audience bulk of whom may not be receptive to a marathon read.

Recommended!
4/5.

...more than
Akshy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked information technology
As I read the book, I had Dada's voice narrating the entire text in my mind. At that place was so much of Ganguly-only things here. When I read Sachin'south autobiography, I was left terribly disappointed and and then I thought if someone from the Golden era of Indian cricket must be writing a memoir, information technology must be Sourav. In that aspect, the book turns out to be candid and puts things in simpler perspectives. It was also a cornball bulldoze back to the days when the transformation of Indian cricket started. Ganguly As I read the book, I had Dada'due south voice narrating the unabridged text in my mind. There was so much of Ganguly-simply things hither. When I read Sachin's autobiography, I was left terribly disappointed then I thought if someone from the Aureate era of Indian cricket must be writing a memoir, it must be Sourav. In that attribute, the book turns out to exist aboveboard and puts things in simpler perspectives. Information technology was also a nostalgic drive dorsum to the days when the transformation of Indian cricket started. Ganguly also throws up life advices here and in that location, which are also worth noting. ...more than
Shubham Pudke
Jul 15, 2018 rated it information technology was amazing
A must read book. This volume teaches the role of leader in any kind of squad, be information technology a any game or whatsoever task, how leader's attitude towards game or player changes the equation and even with a lot of success in your pocketbook, some situations will hit you very difficult and suddenly your success become a story of past and then your come back will only depends on how you lot handles the state of affairs. Championship says it all.. Hats off to the a legend, a Helm. Dada _/\_ A must read volume. This book teaches the role of leader in any kind of squad, exist it a any game or any job, how leader'south attitude towards game or player changes the equation and even with a lot of success in your bag, some situations volition hit yous very hard and suddenly your success go a story of past and so your come back will but depends on how you handles the state of affairs. Championship says it all.. Hats off to the a legend, a CAPTAIN. Dada _/\_ ...more
Siddhartha
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked information technology
This is not just a memoir but likewise a self-help guide volume. In virtually every folio, Sourav has tried to inspire his readers by sharing his own life's experiences. While starting to read, i thought of highlighting the lines with a marking, which i felt would inspire me in future, when i volition exist going through a bad phase. After finishing reading few pages, i realized that i would end up highlighting most the entire book.
In that location is no denying or its not any secret that Sourav is considered equally destiny's
This is not just a memoir but also a self-assist guide book. In almost every page, Sourav has tried to inspire his readers past sharing his own life's experiences. While starting to read, i thought of highlighting the lines with a marker, which i felt would inspire me in future, when i will exist going through a bad phase. Later on finishing reading few pages, i realized that i would finish up highlighting well-nigh the entire volume.
At that place is no denying or its not any secret that Sourav is considered as destiny'south child; he is seen as the sportsperson who has come back from ashes once again n once again. Some might relate this book with his own batting mode - ambitious and defensive at the same time. Simply that is how he has led his entire sporting career. Fifty-fifty in his haydays he had to defend and bear witness his skills fourth dimension n once again. One matter which strongly comes out from the pages is the anger Sourav had for his detractors. And since he had many, the approach is quite expected considering that its a memoir written directly past him. In my opinion, more than the anger its the frustration which he faced with individuals - The disappointment of having to show his credibility fifty-fifty till his terminal day of playing.
There are segments where Sourav has boasted nearly his achievements, but that is expected again if someone has to remind people that he has been i of the very few leaders, a general who changed how Indian cricketers looked into opponents eyes.
Overall, everyone who has followed Indian Cricket of Gilded times, when the lineup looked like Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Harbhajan, Srinath, Zaheer would find this volume very touching. Pick it up without batting an eyelid.
Lastly afterward reading the memoir of both Sachin and Sourav, something stands out for me. Though over again it had looked quite shocking when the things had actually happened, merely to read them from the masters themselves is quite interesting. And both the incidents were from the times when Dravid was the captain. Sachin in his autobiography mentioned how he was disappointed when Dravid declared Indian innings while Sachin was batting on 194 and enough time in paw to strength for an Indian victory. Similarly Sourav has explained how he was disappointed when Dravid didn't take a strong stance when Greg Chappel was ruining Indian Cricket. As a fan and follower of Indian Cricket those days, these 2 incidents were quite frustrating fifty-fifty to me!
...more
Shivji Kumar jha
A good read overall (4.5 maybe). Towards the final couple of chapters I sort of found it a chip tedious but completed the book even so. If yous have followed Ganguly, you will find this a very Ganguly-esque volume. You will actually visualise Ganguly saying these in an interview. Its that close.

The good parts of the book are the feelings Ganguly shares along the style, the feeling of existence selected for the India team for the first fourth dimension, the shy, vulnerable Ganguly with the feelings of feet, the

A good read overall (iv.5 maybe). Towards the final couple of chapters I sort of found it a fleck boring just completed the volume nonetheless. If you have followed Ganguly, you will notice this a very Ganguly-esque book. You will actually visualise Ganguly saying these in an interview. Its that close.

The skilful parts of the book are the feelings Ganguly shares along the fashion, the feeling of being selected for the Republic of india team for the first time, the shy, vulnerable Ganguly with the feelings of anxiety, the feelings of inferiority sitting amidst the stalwarts, the apprehensions etc. From that point to the most confident ( and to an extent an arrogant) Ganguly, you tin feel the journey. He puts a reason to why he would be overly ambitious or big-headed at times and I was convinced and found myself respecting him a tad flake more than now. Though I did feel at times he had really get a bit too overconfident towards the end of his career and wanted to sit on his by laurels, I could acquire so much from a completely different angle as to how the ups and downs in life should exist handled, how to cope through situations when people want to pull you downwardly etc.

I would recommend this to anyone who follows a scrap of cricket, who knows the events in Ganguly's career and wants to selection upwardly Ganguly'due south mind when he faced through those situations or anyone who is merely looking for some motivation getting effectually some hard times in life.

...more
John A Raju
A quick read whose central theme can pretty much be summed up equally 'Never give upwards, no affair what'. The book nevertheless fell slightly beneath my expectations in that it hardly gave the time to dwell enough on any of the goosebumpy incidents, be it the era defining Kolkata examination, the Natwest Bays final, the 2003 World Cup run, the Adelaide test... The memoir was more nearly how Ganguly always had to fight for his place, for his players, for proving himself repeatedly, and how the various setbacks he fac A quick read whose cardinal theme can pretty much be summed up as 'Never surrender, no thing what'. The volume however roughshod slightly beneath my expectations in that it hardly gave the time to dwell enough on whatever of the goosebumpy incidents, be it the era defining Kolkata exam, the Natwest Trophy final, the 2003 World Loving cup run, the Adelaide test... The memoir was more than about how Ganguly always had to fight for his identify, for his players, for proving himself repeatedly, and how the diverse setbacks he faced somewhen fabricated him determined and stronger. Having led India for five years, I was hoping to have more than glimpses into what was going on inside Ganguly's head and the dressing room when the Indian team staged some of the brilliant comebacks mentioned above. He did repeatedly mention some of his captaincy mantra; supporting a player to the hilt, giving them ample opportunities to excel without the force per unit area of being dropped hanging over their heads and the nugget that it's more self-belief than skill that sometimes makes the difference in overseas tests and how he aimed to right it by adopting an ambitious attitude and exhorting his players to do the aforementioned.
The volume seemed more of a reminiscing of a few things at the top of his mind rather than an in-depth expect into how he was role of a cadre that was instrumental in transforming Indian cricket forever. Keen definitely, but could have been a lot amend.
...more than
A Man Called Ove
I was really looking forward to Ganguly'south autobiography. And what a coincidence, I read it just after Manjrekar'southward autobiography whose exit coincided exactly with Ganguly's entry.
I started watching cricket in 1991 with SAF'southward re-entry into world cricket and India's disastrous tour of Australia. Nosotros were terrible abroad from home and an away exam win (even in Zim) was across imagination. Infact even at home, nosotros used to host height teams one time a decade on rank turners. And also, very frustratingly, our rec
I was really looking frontwards to Ganguly's autobiography. And what a coincidence, I read information technology merely after Manjrekar'southward autobiography whose go out coincided exactly with Ganguly'southward entry.
I started watching cricket in 1991 with SAF's re-entry into world cricket and India'due south disastrous tour of Commonwealth of australia. We were terrible away from home and an away test win (even in Zim) was beyond imagination. Infact fifty-fifty at domicile, we used to host pinnacle teams one time a decade on rank turners. And also, very frustratingly, our record against Pak in ODIs was pathetic.
With Ganguly's debut and then his captaincy things began to alter. It is almost as if he forged a team from his sheer will and resilience. In this book he recalls his rise and early on days in international cricket. And the final department in which his struggles with coach Chappell have been noted was very interesting esp since in that location was a lot to know.
Readable just again it belongs to the hastily written short volume category. This could have and then much more. But worth a read for Indian cricket fans.
...more
Shubhashish Aich
Good leaders often make others to believe in them, but at that place are some great leaders who make you believe in yourself beginning. And, Former Helm of The Indian Cricket Team, Sourav Ganguly is one of those great leaders.

Prolific Thespian, who made and then many records, and won matches, and believed in new talent & gave chance to them who are now among the best players in the World of Cricket.

Great Leader, who believed in himself and his team, and led them like a true leader.

Superb Helm, who changed

Good leaders often make others to believe in them, but there are some great leaders who brand you believe in yourself first. And, Former Captain of The Indian Cricket Team, Sourav Ganguly is 1 of those peachy leaders.

Prolific Thespian, who fabricated so many records, and won matches, and believed in new talent & gave chance to them who are now amid the best players in the World of Cricket.

Swell Leader, who believed in himself and his squad, and led them like a true leader.

Superb Helm, who changed the face of Indian Cricket and taught & led the Indian Cricket team to win overseas.

Comeback Male monarch, who didn't lose hope fifty-fifty after so many setbacks & politics, but kept his faith only in one matter, PERFORMANCE! And, made mark in the history books in his own style.

His contribution to the Indian Cricket volition always remain invaluable.

You should non surrender. Be patient. You have to wait for your turn, and when information technology comes, y'all must remain prepared.

...more
Monish Uday
Mar 29, 2018 rated information technology really liked information technology
This volume is purely fa cricket fans, others don't give a try. Dada talked but Abu the life b/west the 22 yards. Information technology's seriously emotionally draining at times to read the kinda hardships he went through to interruption the cricket politics & stage a come back. Nothing came easily on the plate of king of comebacks. From Indian captain to become a downhill in life & treated as an ordinary thespian who need to score runs in Ranji Trophies to print selectors shows everything is temporary in life. A big salute & re This book is purely fa cricket fans, others don't give a try. Dada talked only Abu the life b/due west the 22 yards. It's seriously emotionally draining at times to read the kinda hardships he went through to suspension the cricket politics & stage a come back. Nada came hands on the plate of male monarch of comebacks. From Indian captain to become a downhill in life & treated every bit an ordinary player who demand to score runs in Ranji Trophies to print selectors shows everything is temporary in life. A big salute & respect fa the fighting spirit he shown. My hate listing proper noun always includes Chappel, after reading this book, it holds the second identify afterwards Hitler 😛.

Ane small disappointment i feel is Saurav didn't talked abu his fan enough. Kinda of fans he had during his tough time was surreal, he is the ane cricketer in my childhood , who had committed crazy fans fa his mental attitude more than batting, he should have thanked them & talked Abu them more.

...more than
Kishore Krishnamoorthy
Sourav Chandidas Ganguly, aka Dada is 1 of the almost celebrated cricketer in Bharat. Reading this book about him will requite y'all a lot of goosebump moments if you've seen him play. The Lords balcony moment is 1 of the all-time, I would say. And the side by side saga is Dada vs Chappell aka Captain vs Coach. Every unmarried moment can exist celebrated by u.s., the ardent cricket fans. As the title says, Dada won't exist content with simply century. Such is his legacy. Sourav Ganguly - India's All-time Captain is the popular Sourav Chandidas Ganguly, aka Dada is one of the most celebrated cricketer in India. Reading this book nearly him volition requite you a lot of goosebump moments if y'all've seen him play. The Lords balcony moment is one of the best, I would say. And the next saga is Dada vs Chappell aka Helm vs Coach. Every single moment can be historic by united states of america, the ardent cricket fans. As the title says, Dada won't exist content with just century. Such is his legacy. Sourav Ganguly - India's All-time Captain is the popular saying across India. The manner Dada captained his side volition brand anybody say that. His aggression was the unexpected thing then for an Indian squad. That was why the opposition team felt very difficult facing Dada's Indian team. Overall, this book is a must-read one if you are a die-hard "DADA" fan. As of now, 2 books done from India's "FAB 4" stars. Waiting for more!! ...more than
Brahma Teja  Lankoti
Sourav Ganguly is undoubtedly one of the best captains in the cricketing world. Biopics/ Autobiographies of other other sportspeople would present the rise of their career, however this biography would prove the ascent of The Indian cricket team. Transformation from lucifer fixing saga to a great Indian team.

Dada certainly had faced lot of obstacles, challenges through out his journey. Only, he never gave upwardly and never questioned his ability. His relentless hardwork, his unwavering passion and his inc

Sourav Ganguly is undoubtedly one of the all-time captains in the cricketing earth. Biopics/ Autobiographies of other other sportspeople would present the rise of their career, all the same this biography would bear witness the ascension of The Indian cricket squad. Transformation from match fixing saga to a slap-up Indian team.

Dada certainly had faced lot of obstacles, challenges through out his journey. But, he never gave upward and never questioned his ability. His relentless hardwork, his unwavering passion and his incredible attitude made him what he is. Sourav Ganguly is the breath of fresh air in early on 2000s of Indian cricket squad. The concluding few chapters in the volume most me cry for what happened to the 1 of the cricketing legends. His comeback to the squad is a great learning lesson for anybody.

This book is an inspiration, will always come back when I feel low. One time a gangulian, e'er a gangulian.

...more
Pushpak Chatterjee
This book is much like the person whom I have seen playing in television receiver from his debut test against England.The book is unproblematic yet inspiring and with a concatenation of events written very merely.You can get a peep inside the mind of one of the most successful captains India has ever produced.On the negative side I hoped that he would be more open while dealing with controversies and his differences with all.As example he has chosen Chappel and Buchanan and what he felt nearly them but he is all praise This book is much like the person whom I have seen playing in television from his debut test against England.The volume is uncomplicated yet inspiring and with a chain of events written very simply.You tin go a peep within the heed of one of the about successful captains India has ever produced.On the negative side I hoped that he would be more open while dealing with controversies and his differences with all.As example he has called Chappel and Buchanan and what he felt about them simply he is all praise for everyone with whom he has played.This is merely not possible with the way he has captained or played.May be his current authoritative position has come in the way of playing a piddling more than stride out "Bapi Bari Jaa" which is besides the proper noun of a chapter of the book. ...more
Veeral
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok

Dada has a selective retention since he can't remember numerous innings where he failed to score. Yes, the Greg Chappell incident was a shame, just other than that, he needed to be dropped from the team for his poor course. He acts every bit a victim for the whole volume. Moreover, the book is poorly written. He was ane of the best captains and batsmen India has ever produced. In that location'southward no demand for him to defend (or ignore, in the case of this book) his failures in the latter phase of his international career.

I


Dada has a selective memory since he can't think numerous innings where he failed to score. Yes, the Greg Chappell incident was a shame, just other than that, he needed to be dropped from the squad for his poor form. He acts every bit a victim for the whole volume. Moreover, the book is poorly written. He was one of the best captains and batsmen Republic of india has ever produced. At that place's no need for him to defend (or ignore, in the case of this book) his failures in the latter stage of his international career.

I still call back reading a joke virtually his poor course in a paper -

Ganguly is going out to bat from the dressing room when VVS Laxman says to him, "Sourav, at that place's a call for you from your married woman."

Ganguly says, "Tell her to hold, I'll exist right back."

...more
Ayush Kumar
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A natural point of comparison is Tendulkar'due south autobiography 'Playing Information technology My Way', which is the 2007 World Cup of autobiographies (the 2007 Globe Loving cup sucked). In comparing, Dada's work is frank, conversational, and a deeply personal glimpse into i of India's most complex minds.
I give it 4 stars because of the squandered potential - The occasionally clunky writing and the unnecessary urge to race through important events rather than flesh them out a little, makes me hope that in the years to com
A natural betoken of comparing is Tendulkar'south autobiography 'Playing It My Mode', which is the 2007 Globe Loving cup of autobiographies (the 2007 World Loving cup sucked). In comparison, Dada's piece of work is frank, conversational, and a deeply personal glimpse into one of India's most complex minds.
I give it iv stars considering of the squandered potential - The occasionally clunky writing and the unnecessary urge to race through important events rather than flesh them out a little, makes me promise that in the years to come Dada volition come back to the subject field matter and write a truly groovy cricketing autobiography.
...more
Nirav Mehta
Very very disappointing. This is yet another mediocre biography, in the 'lets-compile-a-chronological-narrative-around-the-playing-career' format masquerading as an autobiography.

The Sachin autobiography was as well in a similar format, but I expected Sourav's to be a lot more insightful and engaging. Unfortunately, it looks like niggling effort or insight from the actor went into it across providing the facts and some anecdotes.

This gets two stars instead of zero because:
(1) I could stop the book

Very very disappointing. This is yet another mediocre biography, in the 'lets-compile-a-chronological-narrative-effectually-the-playing-career' format masquerading as an autobiography.

The Sachin autobiography was also in a similar format, but I expected Sourav's to be a lot more insightful and engaging. Unfortunately, information technology looks similar little effort or insight from the thespian went into it across providing the facts and some anecdotes.

This gets ii stars instead of zero considering:
(ane) I could cease the book
(2) Its nigh a player and discipline that I have a deep involvement in

Wouldn't recommend

...more than

News & Interviews

March is Women's History Month, dedicated to the study, observance, and commemoration of the vital function of women in American history.   Some...
"Always recollect, if you make up one's mind to permit your frustrations to rule, the next day will be even tougher. The world, moving at its ain step, barely cares well-nigh your sentiments. I" — i likes
"Always call back, if you lot decide to allow your frustrations to dominion, the adjacent twenty-four hour period volition be even tougher. The world, moving at its ain pace, barely cares almost your sentiments. I know it is easier said than done, just you will have to notice a manner to conquer the feeling of despondency." — 0 likes
More quotes…

Welcome back. Just a moment while we sign yous in to your Goodreads account.

Login animation

DOWNLOAD HERE

Posted by: thomassorge1971.blogspot.com